As part of an information architecture intensive course I took in the middle of 2019, I was tasked to work with three other designers to redesign the Pilgrim Monument and Provincetown Museum's website. Over the course of a week, our team had to analyze the existing information architecture with the current website and address any usability problems through a complete redesign of the most visited parts of the website. The final deliverables of this project were clickable prototypes for both mobile and web.
The Pilgrim Monument and the Provincetown Museum are two linked cultural institutions and tourist landmarks in Provincetown, Massachusetts established to commemorate the Mayflower Pilgrims’ first landing in the New World in Provincetown in November 1620. Their website is managed by a joint non-profit organization that organizes events and manages finances, donations, event space, and tickets for both of the landmarks. In a one-week intensive course on Information Architecture as part of Bentley University's Master's in Human Factors program, my team of four collaborated to document, evaluate, and redesign the organizations' website architecture and provide wireframes for two different user paths for both mobile and desktop.
The goal of the project was to evaluate the organizations' website to identify where improvements could be made to better serve their business goals, namely, to boost visitation to the museum and monument, to increase facility rentals, and to generate more donations. The team was charged with redesigning the site's information architecture and creating mobile and desktop wireframes for two separate user flows.
As a team, we documented the site's current architecture in Excel. From there, we identified areas of weakness, particularly involving poor navigation and confusing site hierarchy. Collectively, brainstormed ideas for improving the navigation and the design and created user flow diagrams for two key user paths. From there, we split the work by website sections, and we each designed various pages of the site individually, coming together to offer feedback, ask questions, and provide tool tips, as needed. Given the tight timeframe, we sketched wireframes by hand very briefly and then moved directly into digital design.
The team redesigned the site's architecture to simplify choices and improve navigation. We did this by condensing categories, rewriting and changing the order of labels, tightening up the footer, and designing clear paths for visitors to find information, check out the events calendar, and purchase tickets. In the end, the team worked so efficiently that we were able to produce a clickable prototype of the redesigned site for desktop and mobile, even though the requirements specified wireframes only. Wireframes were created using Figma, then imported into inVision to create the prototype.